A FIVE-year-old boy was shot in the face by a stray firework as chaos reigned at a late-night bonfire display.
Six people were injured when several fireworks exploded into the crowd at Stone Swynnerton Park Cricket Club in Staffordshire on Friday evening.
Five-year-old Rocco Redley was hit in the face as his family tried to escape.
His mother Emma, 40, told MailOnline: “Rocco didn’t end up seriously physically injured but he was terrified.”
“It’s the first show I’ve ever taken him to and he’s now told me he never wants to see fireworks again.”
“I relive the moment over and over again, it was terrifying. I see him again in slow motion, but everything happened so quickly.”
“The worst thing is to think that it could have been much worse.”
It is believed that around six people were affected as surrounding families and onlookers scattered.
A night owl said StokeonTrentLive: “Fireworks exploded in the crowd and a lot of people ran away.”
“I heard an announcement that a first responder had been requested and I was told that six people had been hit by fireworks.
“The fireworks display later resumed.”
A terrified father who attended the disastrous display also claimed: “It hit the family who were standing right next to us.”
Were you at the exhibition? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
“We felt the heat as it entered us. My son’s hood is singed.”
While a mother of two claimed the rocket misfired so close to her, she was forced to “throw” her horrified daughter out of the line of fire.
One stunned guest wrote on his Facebook page: “It directly hit me, my two children and my other half, I had to throw my daughter.”
“We left after it happened and hope everyone else was OK.”
“One firework exploded across the grass and exploded in front of a guard, and then two or three fireworks followed across the grass and exploded in the crowd,” another shocked witness reported.
They added: “It was dangerous so we left immediately.”