A man accused of attempting to send sexually explicit material to a child and facilitating sexual exploitation has been granted bail but warned not to contact anyone under the age of 18.
Patrick McInerney (39), of Main Street, Kilkishen, Co Clare, appeared before Judge Bryan Smyth at Dublin District Court on Monday charged with five offenses allegedly committed earlier this year.
Garda Tracy O’Neill gave notices of arrest, charge and caution. She said she met the defendant at a police station in Dublin and charged him. “He did not respond to the charges after being warned,” she said.
Judge Smyth heard that the Director of Public Prosecutions led the prosecution hearing at District Court level.
Judge Smyth found there was no objection to the man’s bail in his €500 bail with the Garda’s proposed conditions: that he report to a Garda station once a week and “under no circumstances” including social media, contact with them has a child under 18 years of age.
Gardaí must also be able to contact him on the mobile phone number he provided.
Judge Smyth ordered him to appear again in November, be handed a book of evidence and then brought back for trial. Legal aid was granted after the judge found from counsel that the defendant was participating in a community employment program and had no assets.
He is accused of intentionally engaging in offensive conduct of a sexual nature at an unknown location on January 25 and the following day.
Another charge alleges he attempted to use information and communications technology to send sexually explicit material to a child at an undisclosed location in Dublin on February 5.
He faces another charge for the same offense between January 30 and February 18.
He is also accused of attempting to facilitate the sexual exploitation of a child under 17 years of age through the use of information and communications technology between January 30 and February 18.
The offenses contravene various sections of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017.